Roller skating is generally an outdoor sport that allows you to pass time with your friends in a healthy way. It helps you stay active while you also relieve stress by sating around town. Roller skates can easily be used on sidewalks, concrete tracks, pavements as well as asphalt.
In this article we will discuss roller skating on asphalts and how you can make it easier. Let’s go!
Let’s begin with a small description of asphalt. Asphalt is basically a mixture of filler, binder and aggregates. The purpose of this material is maintaining roads, runways and railway tracks etc. You might find it while skating on roads and pavements. It appears quite sticky so some people get confused if they can skate on it or not.
The answer is: Yes. You can so roller skating on asphalt but for doing so you will need to ensure certain things. We will be discussing those in this article.
If you intend on roller skating on asphalt, you need to ensure that you have the right roller skates. Following are some of the requirements that these roller skates need to fulfil.
- The skates you use should roll smoothly on surfaces like asphalt, cracks in concrete, concrete itself, pavements and sidewalks. This will ensure that you will not have to face any trouble while roller skating on these surfaces.
- Your skates must have specific outdoor wheels that will work efficiently on outdoor tracks.
- The boot of your skates should be of high quality and also durable. Roller skates have to endure rough environment and constant wear and tear so it is important that they are durable enough to endure that with ease.
- Makes sure that the skates you have come with smooth and reliable bearings that are not too hard to maintain.
- Finally, your skates should come with a supple and soft toe stop that will allow you to apply brakes with ease.
Types of skates to choose from
There are two major kinds of skates available on the market. Following is their description as well as their advantages.
- Quad skates
Quad skates are skates that come with four wheels. Most skaters go with these when skating outdoors. The arrangement of their wheels helps make them more stable and also allow for easier brakes. They are very durable when it comes to skating outdoors. They can easily handle cracks in sidewalks, pavements, rough roads, sidewalks as well as asphalt. The best part about these skates is that they can be used both outdoors and indoors.
- Inline skates
These skates come with 3 to 4 wheels aligned in a single line in the center of the shoe. They are better for faster speeds and can be very fun to use. They can also easily handle pavements, sidewalks as well as asphalt. The arrangement of the wheels helps reduce friction which leads to faster speeds. They are also preferred for skating over long distances. They can easily be used indoors as well.
Inline skates vs. Quads for skating on asphalt
Quads are mainly preferred by indoor skaters such as roller disco skaters and dance skaters. Quads are slightly bigger in size which means that they will be slightly difficult to handle outdoors, however, with the right equipment, it is still possible. If small debris from asphalt gets stuck in quads, it can lead to accidents.
However, that is not a major issue for inline skates. Inline skates work better for outdoor skating. Inline skates are smaller in size and also allow for greater speeds, making them perfect for skating outdoors. Quads can also be used outdoors but we believe that inline skates are the better choice.
When it comes to skating on asphalt, you need to ensure that you are taking all safety precautions in order to avoid any accidents. It isn’t a very dangerous sport but it is always better to say on the safer side to fully enjoy the whole experience.
Let’s start from the top. First of all, you need a sturdy helmet that will help protect your head in case of ay accident. Next, you need to wear elbow pads, wrist guards as well as knee pads in order to protect yourself from any scraping in case you fall. Make sure you choose high-quality gear because this will help keep you safe under al conditions.
Checklist for roller skating on asphalt
Go through the following checklist to ensure that you have a good experience while roller skating on asphalt.
- You are wearing high quality and durable boots that will be able to endure wear and tear. The laces are tightly in place and the material of the boot is bendable.
- Intact wheels which are not broken or cracked.
- Clean bearings which spin freely.
- Supple and soft toe stops.
- Safety gear is in place.
Roller skating on asphalt can be slightly tricky so make sure you do it with the utmost care. Just follow all the guidelines mentioned in this article and you will be all set for your next roller-skating trip. If you have any other queries, make sure to send them to us. We will be back soon with more articles. Until then, good luck!
Can You Roller Skate On Asphalt FAQs :
1. Is it OK to roller skate on the road?
Answer: With the right roller skates, you can easily roller skate on the road.
2. What type of floor is best for roller skating?
Answer: Smooth and hard floor works best for roller skating. However, it should not be slippery.
3. Can roller skates be used outside?
Answer: Roller skates are mainly designed for use outside.
4. How do you stop roller skates on asphalt?
Answer: Roller skates have brakes on the front while roller blades have brakes on the back. Apply the brakes according to the skates to stop roller skates on asphalt.