Ice skating is a popular sport which is played on a huge block of ice. Ice hockey may also be played during ice skating. If you own a pair of ice skates, you must know that it is a hassle to get them sharpened from the shop every single. Therefore, in this article we will teach you How To Sharpen Ice Skates At Home. Read on if you are interested in learning this process.
Why do I need to sharpen my ice skates?
This might be the first question that comes to mind when you learn about sharpening your ice skates. Why should you do it at all? Well, sharpening your ice skates allows you to have an aesthetic and smooth experience while ice skating. For this reason, it is important to sharpen your skates from to time. This isn’t a very time taking process so you won’t find it very hard to do on a regular basis. Following are some of the reasons why you must sharpen your ice skates:
A sharpened blade will allow you to apply sudden brakes in order to prevent collisions. This will help keep you safe from any kind of accidents or injuries.
Sharpening your blades regularly ensures consistent and the best performance. If you sharpen your blades after long intervals, it may cause a sudden change in how your skates feel which might put you off your game.
Sharpened blades provide a better grip over ice as compared to dull blades. This means that you will able to make sharp turns and stick figure skate landings more efficiently.
How to go about it?
There are various methods which you can use in order to sharpen ice skates at home. Let’s discuss some of them.
Using a sharpening machine
By investing in a high-qualitysharpening machine, you will be able to save yourself the hassle of having to visit the proshop again and again. Once you own an efficient sharpening machine, you will only have to set up the machine, clamp the blades, and complete the job.
When you pass the sharpener over the ice skates for the first few times, you will be eliminating nicks, blade rust, and dings. After that you will transfer the blades to the sharpening stone in order to create the perfect hollow profile. You will be finishing off your work with the use of some finishing stone to apply the final touches.
Sharpening machines may cost between $600 to $1000. Define your budget and then invest in one that meets your requirements. We would recommend that you invest in one only if a group of 10 or more people are going to use the machine. Otherwise, it is not worth the cost if you’re buying it for yourself only.
Using a file
You can also try using a file to do this job. However, makes sure you have proper practice before you try your hand at an ice skate. It may not look like a very difficult task, but it surely requires a lot of practice and effort. It is better to do this if you’re under the supervision of an expert. Once you know what you are doing, you may try it on your own.
Using a hockey skate-blade sharpening stone
Using a skate stone allows for the most efficient sharpening of ice skates. However, it is important that you understand that this isn’t a complete method of sharpening rather it is more of a fine-tuning method once you have sharpened the ice skates using a proper machine.
- Begin by placing the ice skates inside the sharpening jig. Make sure you place both the skates in exactly the same position so that you are able to make the same cut each time. Now, tighten up the blade brackets such that the skates are held securely in place and they are parallel to each other.
- Sit down and keep the sharpening jig in between your legs.
- Begin filing the blades all the way from the toes to the heel using a flat file. Make sure you do this in a diagonal motion. The file should be perpendicular to the blade at all times.
- File across each blade at least 20 times and in the same direction. Once you’re done, repeat the same process in the opposite direction.
- Once you’re done with one skate, repeat the same process on the other ice skate.
- File the blades until they suit your requirements. You can also grind a radius in your blade in order to make its edges either more or less pronounced. This will allow you to stop more abruptly, skate faster, and hold tighter turns.
- Finish off by using a burr stone for the final touches and then use a towel to wipe the blades.
By now you must have understood how important it is to sharpen your ice skates for better performance. We hope this article helped you learn how to sharpen ice skates at home. You may use any of the methods described above to do this on your own. However, make sure you take safety precautions to prevent accidents. Good luck!
How To Sharpen Ice Skates At Home FAQ :
1. Can I sharpen my skates at home?
Answer: Yes, you can sharpen your ice skates at home by following any of the methods described above.
2. What can I use to sharpen my ice skates?
Answer: You can use a sharpening machine, a file or a hockey skate blade sharpening stone to sharpen your ice skates.
3. How can I sharpen my skates without a machine?
Answer: You can use a hand stone to sharpen your skates without a machine.
4. Can you ice skate without sharpening?
Answer: No, you must sharpen your ice skates for better performance and safety.